From Bulletin Oaks, Issue 1, Summer 1999 – also known as “News WCER”, a preliminary version before the Congress in August 1999, originally entitled “News WCER”
Why is ethnic?
Author: Dennis Dorn (Denmark)
Many are surprised to tighten or even scared when he saw the word ethnic in our name. Is the word ethnic ethnic cleansing? Not worth it for a new ideology of pure race? Do I need to belong to a long-lost people to be ethnic? Is not the gray-haired ethnic subject of study in Science? Ethnicity is not associated with anything of the above, the meaning of this word is much easier. Ethnicity is a Greek word meaning the people, and ethnic meaning associated with certain people, ie everything that defines the nation: its language, traditions, everyday behavior, food … or spiritual outlook. Recently we call ethnic religion. This is a collection of traditions, faiths, lifestyles associated with people. It is often but not always, involves worship of ancestors. Sometimes it is so closely related to daily life that can not even be called “religion” (ie faith) in the Western sense of the word.
Everything seems obvious: we all belong to the people and lives up to the established rules and customs. Then, what is the meaning of “ethnic” religions?
The idea that ethnic religions are threatened with extinction. In an age when we recognize that a variety of plant and animal species is necessary for the survival of nature, the same principle should apply to people: during the centuries of ethnic religions erased one after another, with the face of the earth in the name of an indefinite “best” culture or ” faith. ” Sometimes this happened (and is still) in brutally – by the physical destruction – sometimes – by the gradual indoctrination of young generations.
Today, ethnic religions in Europe, Australia and the Americas are struggling to revive what else can be revived from the wreckage left by the various “religions” or “ideology”, which promises a bright future, a perfect society and eternal happiness, but they were just another form of conquest, destroying everything, both physical and mental, and spiritual.
However, not everything was destroyed. From the Great Plains of North America to the villages of Lithuania, the soul remained alive and waiting to be re-awakened. Proud native culture of India has never been broken and well, although under constant pressure, with both east and west.
By their nature, ethnic culture is very independent. None of them do not consider themselves superior, but they all insist on respect for their originality. And they all have the same chance: whether they are fighting for survival or for the revival, they need to communicate with each other and keep in touch. Therefore, there was WCER.
The purpose and objectives WCER
This is just a list of proposals for discussion at the second conference WCER, and he shall in no way should be regarded as definitive:
1. Create an information center for all member organizations, in the form of a newsletter or any other available means (Internet, print media, etc.)
2. To focus on genuine national traditions in their opposition of the invention, an artificial new religions.
3. Create a single group to influence regional and national governments on issues of religious intolerance (with advice from regional groups).
4. Inform and advise the media on matters of faith and native traditions (with the advice of the regional groups).
5. Create an international library of traditional religions.
6. Encourage the entry of non-European WCER native religious groups, including America, Asia / India and Africa.
7. Work towards the recognition WCER as a non-governmental organization institutions in the UN.
8. Issue official statements on important events, such as the celebration of “2000 years of Christianity.”